Providing strong advocacy To every client.

Getting your family preference immigrant green card

On Behalf of | Jun 7, 2022 | Family Immigration and Citizenship

Immigration laws in Florida and the rest of the U.S. have recently undergone some meaningful adjustments. The point of these changes has been to make it easier for certain non-citizens who are family members of a U.S. citizen to get their green card. These new laws are based on family relations of immigrants.

Your family members can get a green card

Family immigration and citizenship laws have been adjusted to allow spouses, minor children, and parents of U.S. citizens to become permanent residents. It clears the way for them to get their green card so that they can get started on their way to becoming naturalized as citizens.

Categories for family preference green cards

It will be up to you to do all that you can to help procure a visa for your fiancee or other family members. You can do this by learning about the different types of preference visas that are now being authorized. These visas come in four basic categories.

The first preference (F1) is for the unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. They must be 21 years of age or older to qualify for this visa.

There are two types of second preference visas. F2A is for spouses and children of lawful permanent residents. They must be unmarried and under 21 years old. F2B is for unmarried sons and daughters who are over 21 years of age.

The third preference (F3) is for married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

The fourth preference (F4) is for brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens. The U.S. citizen in question must be 21 years of age or older.

It’s a good idea to read through the full Instructions for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status before you make your application.